Leveraging quality improvement to enhance care and clinical outcomes.
The NHPCC coordinates and supports a national quality improvement (QI) effort to ensure that HTCs are able to effectively leverage the science of quality improvement to enhance care and clinical outcomes for individuals with blood disorders. The NHPCC’s national QI strategy aims to strengthen the capacity of the regional hemophilia networks (RHNs) and HTC integrated care teams. This section provides resources to help you get started in QI work, answer questions, and more.
National Priorities for Quality Improvement
During the current grant cycle, from June 1 2017 through May 31 2022, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) requests that the RHNs complete QI work in any of three priority areas: transition from pediatric to adult care, patient and family engagement, and medical home access. The NHPCC supports the RHNs’ work in these areas through topic-specific trainings, resource development and dissemination, and ongoing training and technical support as needed.
Transition of care was the focus of the NHPCC’s initial efforts, which began in 2017. Once the majority of the RHN’s centers were supported in their QI work in transition of care, the NHPCC shifted focus to supporting work in the area of patient and family engagement in 2019. When it is clear that the majority of the country’s HTCs have received support in patient and family engagement, the NHPCC will again shift focus and offer support in the area of medical home access.
NHPCC QI Case Studies
Read the Western New York BloodCare Case Study and the Mountain States Hemophilia Network Case Studies to learn more about how they are engaging patients and families to improve transition of care as a result of the NHPCC QI initiative.
The NHPCC provides the following technical assistance resources to support HTCs in their QI efforts:
- Action Guide for Improving Care for People with Bleeding Disorders
- QI Patient and Family Engagement Sample QI Aim Statements
- Comprehensive Guide on Coordinating QI Work in Patient and Family Engagement
- NHPCC QI Checklist: Checklist for Determining Quality Improvement Projects
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement QI Essentials Toolkit: Driver Diagram
- NHPCC QI Progress Tool for HTCs
- QI Posters from NHPCC QI Collaborative:
- Center for Inherited Blood Disorders
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Emory University and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Green Bay Hemophilia Outreach Center
- Gulf States Hemophilia & Thrombophilia Center
- Hemophilia Center of Western New York
- Hemophilia Center of Western Pennsylvania
- Hemophilia Treatment Center of Nevada
- Kansas City Regional Hemophilia Center
- Michigan State University
- Nationwide Children’s
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Rady Children’s Hospital
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Yale Hemophilia Treatment Center
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “NHPCC QI Support” in the subject line.